Tuesday 28 April 2009

The Ambush (Deu) -- "The Ambush"


One of my favourite albums, and one that takes me back to better days. The Ambush was one of many pseudonyms of German Techno artist Oliver Lieb (best known as Spicelab), and explored a stirring combination of hypnotic tribal drum rhythms (programmed obviously), dynamic Ambient House, and sampled chants. I used to listen to this album in the car as a warm-up / come-down for my favourite band Crow's gigs, as it was a perfect accompaniment to their more rock/punk-orientated tribal sounds.

"My Name Is God" is my favourite track here, and is one of my alltime favourite tracks -- really dark, yet uplifting at the same time. "Casablanca", a close second, is by contrast the sound of eternal Summer. Words cannot express how much I love these two tracks.

The only track I can find fault with here is "Jungle Fever" which sounds a little cheesy to my ears, and is the only track where the drums sound unconvincing.

"The Ambush" (1994)

1. Rain
2. Casablanca
3. My Name Is God
4. Terra
5. Jungle Fever
6. Aton
7. Sun

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ge2joayealhajz

(link updated 5/3/11)

No comments: